Monday, March 05, 2007

Hardball Times season preview

I just got my Hardball Times preview. This is without a doubt the best preseason baseball guide ever published, but I can't claim to be objective about that, as I wrote the Angel's chapter. The format is a team-in-a-box, different authors answer the same set of questions for each of the 30 teams. In that way it reminds me a bit of the Bill James abstract feature, manager-in-a-box.

You can get it shipped as a real book or get it instantly as a .PDF file. If you want to have it in your hands and intend to print it out, I don't think the e-book format is any cheaper when you factor in the cost of printer ink. If you can get away with printing 180+ pages of baseball stuff at work though, go for it.

There's a brand new projection system in the book for what looks like all major league players and most of the decent minor leaguers. I'm sure thats what everyone needs is another projection system, what with CHONE, ZIPS, and Marcel available for free plus PECOTA and plenty of others for a fee. This one attempts to project for the next 3 years. I'm a little skeptical on the value of that, as its hard enough to predict next year, but I applaud the effort

Anyway, check it out and stay tuned to The Hardball Times as soon we will answer 5 questions to be determined by the authors for all 30 teams.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home