Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Runs scored

I just got a double present in the mail, Ron Shandler's Baseball Forecaster and Derik McCamey's Minor League Baseball Analyst. Very fun stuff. I don't buy it for MLE's or projections, I do all that stuff myself. I buy it for the comments and articles. I've already taken one insight and incorporated it into my hitter projections.

One cool thing is a formula for predicting RBI, based on team unners on base, the player's stats, and lineup position. Alas, no such formula for runs scored. So I came up with my own:

Runs = HR + SB/5 + (times on base- HR) * Tm Slg * 0.73 * lineup spot

Where lineup spot =
1 1.20
2 1.15
3 1.05
4 1.00
5 0.95
6 0.95
7 0.95
8 0.85
9 0.9

So far, it looks pretty reasonable. It could be a useful tool if all your projections assume Brad Wilkerson will hit towards the end of the lineup for the Rangers, and on March 31 they announce he'll be the leadoff hitter.

6 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Anonymous joel said...

RSS feed is the latest craze in online publishing, but what exactly is RSS? RSS or Rich Site Syndication is a format similar to XML, and is used by publishers to make their content available to others in a format that can be universally understood.
Link to this site: seo marketing
http://seo-faq.info/

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Joel, for that hilariously off-topic and ill-informed ("a format similar to XML") post.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Matchosan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Matchosan said...

"I buy it for the comments and articles." yes , and I buy PLAYBOY for the articles and editorial.

But all and all a very good site. Can't wait for the season to begin.

Also you may need to change your blogs name. Arte won. WooHoo

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger aiya said...

Office 2010
Microsoft Office 2010
Microsoft word
Office 2007
Microsoft Office
Microsoft Office 2007
Office 2007 key
Office 2007 download
Office 2007 Professional
Outlook 2010
Microsoft outlook
Microsoft outlook 2010
Windows 7

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger anna said...

I don’t know why but I just Love Those Things, how do you think about it? air force one shoes, you can just simple choose this option and pick what you want.You should try to experice it.five finger shoes,These are nice for you...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home