Monday, January 21, 2008

Defensive Ratings from Retrosheet

I published an explanation of my system and the results for the Hardball Times.

The next step is incorporating lots of adjustments, some things that I thought would improve the system and some suggested through the commentary on Baseballthinkfactory and Ballhype.

Its a long process, but I put together my DP ratings today. Here are the double play allstars from 1956 to 1992, though I should extend this through 2007. While there are plenty of other sources to calculate defensive runs, I don't think anyone else who does DP runs publishes the results.

The top DP turners:

3B Brooks Robinson +26. His replacement, Doug DeCinces comes in at +12, Wade Boggs and Clete Boyer at +10.

SS: Cal Ripken +29. Ozzie is +21, then Dick Schofield +19 (a bit of a surprise) with Concepcion and Trammell at +18 each.

2B: Bill Mazeroski +40 - the legend is accurate here. Willie Randalph was close, +37, followed by Bobby Grich +23 and Tom Herr +21.

1B: Don Mattingly +9 - there just aren't enough balls hit to first for this skill to have a large run value, but Donnie Baseball was better than anyone at starting the 3-6-3. Keith Hernandez and Kent Hrbek come in at +6.

2 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know much about Brooks Robinson, but your numbers make him look like another Ozzie Smith. Did anyone ever think of making him a shortstop, or did his skillset scream THIRD BASE!?

 
At 5:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He was slow, but had incredible reactions, making him ideal for third. He probably would have suffered more than the typical dropff going from 3B to SS, but probably would have still been above average there. But the Orioles had Mark Belanger, so I doubt there was much though given to making Brooks a fulltime shortstop. He did play a few games at short, and by my numbers handled the position pretty well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home