Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Score from second on a strikeout?

Marco Scutaro is on second. I can't watch the game because I'm working (well, half-assed, since I'm following the Angels too, but that's the American Way as Homer would say). I'm following on Yahoo, and next thing I see is "Ellis struck out, Scutaro scored on wild pitch". Until I get home and see the play on ESPN, all I can think is how can a 3rd strike get far enough away to let a runner take two bases but stay close enough for the batter to be out at 1st?

As Molina runs after the ball, Scutaro is already rounding third, and comes hom as Molina throws to 1st. Howie Kendrick wasn't prepared. I can understand. He's having a tough time playing 1B for the first time in his career. It magnifies all his "learning experiences" that he has to do it in a pennant race.

I hate to say it but the A's probably deserved this one after seeing 2 runs score last night from second on infield singles.

And I might be coming down with something, because all of a sudden, I miss Darin Erstad. On the field, at at 1st base even. Darin's not much of a hitter anymore, everyone knows that, especially for a 1B. But he can probably hit as well as Adam Kennedy, Howie Kendrick would play his natural position, we'd improve the defense without hurting the offense. I have no doubt that given an offseason to prepare and spring training to practice, Howie could turn himself into a good fielding 1st baseman. But that's a waste of his talent. Come to think of it, Kotchman could replace Kennedy in the lineup too, and if he's healthy, give more offense than Erstad.

I hope one of them makes it back soon.

2 Comments:

At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »

 
At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home