Friday, October 17, 2008

Baserunning Project

I've started a baserunning project from my retrosheet databases. Pretty much it's the same stuff Dan Fox did. I doubt I'll make any improvements, but I want complete access to that data, so I've got to set up the queries. I actually started this last year but ran into some problems, and need to start from scratch.

The first query is runners going 1st to 3rd in the 1953-1956 time period. Mickey Mantle didn't steal a ton of bases, but he sure could go 1st to 3rd. In 1955 he did it 25 times, holding up at 2nd 16 times, and not being thrown out. Richie Ashburn had the most 1st-3rd, 30 times in 1954. That same year Willie Mays had 20 chances, went 1st to 3rd 18 times, held twice and was not thrown out.

The query requires that the single make it through to the outfield, and there is no lead runner blocking progress at third.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home