Wednesday, November 09, 2005

In praise of and a critique of APBA baseball

I've played APBA baseball since the 1997 season. Before that, the same players and franchises were played using Microleague baseball which goes back to the 1987 season. Before that, the games were played using a system that I created pretty much on my own, starting in 1982. Not completely on my own, at one point I incorporated some charts from a strat o matic tapletop game, but the batter-pitcher interaction was mine. Its quite remarkable what a 12 year old can do with a high aptitude in math and a set of dungeons and dragons dice.

We (myself, my brother, and a few friends) play one season per year. We used to play more, but as we got a little older we needed some more breaks. Time to run a draft, sign free agents, and update the stats for next year.

I love the graphics. There's no animation like microleague had, but a picture of a park with player labels on the field is satisfying enough. I may have switched to Diamond Mind, but last I looked there were no graphics at all. I don't need much but I need something.

I am 100% pleased with the hitters in APBA. Its not too complex, but basically handles everything it needs to. The fielding has some problems. Fielders get a grade, which determines how much range they have, how many hits they help prevent, and also how many errors they make. Why not 2 ratings? I'd like to have a player be able to have little to no range, but at least good enough hands to catch what he wants. Outfielders are 1,2, or 3. They do have a separate arm rating, which goes from 21 to 40. There's more than enough room to rate Bernie Williams, Roberto Clemente, and everyone in between on that scale. For the main fielder rating, 1,2, and 3 just isn't enough. A "1" is going to make about 19 errors per year, so I have to rate most people as a 2 or better. a "3" is your good centerfielder. Out of 30 teams, we have maybe 20 outfielders with a 3 rating, almost all in center, with just about everyone else a 2, except for some minor leaguers and people who spend most of their time as a DH anyway.

Then there's pitching. I'll save that for another day.

6 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

 
At 4:44 AM, Blogger ghanshyam said...

There is obviously a lot more than this. Would you mind telling me how long it took you to gather your content? Feel free to check out my site , business directory when you got time.

 
At 4:45 AM, Blogger ghanshyam said...

This article was extremely interesting, especially since I was searching for thoughts on this subject last Thursday. I would love some feedback on my site resource
when you got time.

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger lucyliu said...

nike air max 90
nike air max 95
nike air max tn
nike air rift
nike shox r4
nike air max 360
nike shox nz
puma mens shoes
puma shoes
puma speed
nike shoes
nike air
nike air shoes
puma cat
air max trainers
mens nike air max
nike shoes air max
nike shoes shox
air shoes
nike shoe cart
puma future
cheap puma
sports shoes
nike air rifts
nike air rift trainer
nike air
nike rift
nike rift shoes
cheap nike air rifts
bape shoes
jeans shop
diesel jeans
levis jeans

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger LAN said...

puma mens shoes
puma shoes
puma speed
nike shoes
nike air
nike air shoes
nike air max 90
nike air max 95
nike air max tn
nike air rift
nike shox r4
nike air max 360
nike shox nz
puma cat
air max trainers
mens nike air max
sports shoes
nike air rifts
nike air rift trainer
nike air
nike shoes air max
nike shoes shox
air shoes
Lucyliu IS Lucyliu
nike shoe cart
puma future
cheap puma
nike rift
jeans shop
diesel jeans
levis jeans
nike rift shoes
cheap nike air rifts
bape shoes

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger aiya said...

Office 2010
Microsoft Office 2010
Microsoft word
Office 2007
Microsoft Office
Microsoft Office 2007
Office 2007 key
Office 2007 download
Office 2007 Professional
Outlook 2010
Microsoft outlook
Microsoft outlook 2010
Windows 7

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home